The Creation of ‘McGugan’s Croft’
The 1789 plan shows two buildings in the area we now call Building O. At that time, it looks as if the surrounding land was part of the township’s inbye land, used for growing crops.
By the time of the 1871 map, a substantial area of land south-west of the township’s buildings (which had been inbye) had become pasture. We think this change took place in the 1840s, when small fields replaced runrig cultivation. When this happened, around 1.5 acres (0.6 hectares) of this land was enclosed from that which became pasture. This created what we now call McGugan’s Croft.