Auchindrain Township | Eddie MacCallum
129
archive,tag,tag-eddie-maccallum,tag-129,qode-social-login-1.0,qode-restaurant-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-4.1,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.2,vc_responsive

Eddie MacCallum Tag

Water Sources

Beside The Slate House is a barrel with a tap to fill a bucket with water for cooking or washing. The barrel catches rain water from the end of a crude gutter made from two planks nailed together.  Until the 1890s, all the buildings had thatch...

0
0

Watercourses and Drainage

[intro]It rains a lot here! Good drains are vital to stop the ground from becoming waterlogged.  If the land is too wet the crops won’t grow and there won’t be enough grass for the animals. Keeping the drainage ditches open is vital work. [/intro] [details] A small...

0
0

Stoner’s Kitchen

[intro] This longhouse was named for “Duncan Stoner” Munro. He lived here until he died in 1937.  He was originally a stonemason. When he married in 1892, he came to this house to stay with his ageing, single Uncle Malcolm. After he left, the kitchen was...

0
0

Tenants and Cottars

[intro] Two types of people lived in the township: tenants and cottars.  The tenants paid rent for their land to the Duke of Argyll, and had the right to live here with their families.  Cottars lived in the township with the approval of the tenants. They...

0
0

Eddie’s Milkhouse

[intro]From the 1940s onwards there was a ‘Milkhouse’ here, made from old windows. It was set against the wall of the barn, and on brighter days must have been a warm and inviting place. It was where Peggy MacCallum made butter and cheese.[/intro] [details] [caption id="attachment_21727" align="alignnone"...

0
0

The Cart Shed

[intro] This building, too small to stand up in, was used in the 1950s and 1960s by to store Eddie MacCallum’s cart. In the 19th century it had been the township’s wash-house, and a photograph taken in the 1880s shows it being used for this purpose. [/intro] [details]...

0
0

The Slate House

[intro] The last people to live here called this building ‘The Slate House’ - it is the only building in the township with a slate roof. Inside, there are standings for two large working horses. The building is now home to our flock of hens. [/intro] [details]...

0
0

The Bull and Wool House

[intro] In the early 20th century, half of this building was used to store big hessian sacks of clipped fleeces before they were sold. If you look up at the rafters and walls you can see graffiti: the young people of the township would sit on...

0
0

The Tractor

[intro]  This type of tractor is known as a “Little Grey Fergie”.  It was bought by Eddie MacCallum in 1961, replacing the horses that had previously worked the land.[/intro] [details] The tractor was sold when Eddie MacCallum retired in 1963, but remained in Argyll with a...

0
0

Agricultural Change and Improvement

[intro] In the 18th century, social, economic and scientific factors brought about major changes in society. One of these changes was agricultural ‘improvement’. This involved changing the way land was used, to make it more productive and profitable for the landowner.  [/intro] [details] [caption id="attachment_21542" align="alignnone" width="683"]...

0
0