Auchindrain Township | corrugated steel
178
archive,tag,tag-corrugated-steel,tag-178,qode-social-login-1.0,qode-restaurant-1.0,woocommerce-no-js,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-4.5,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.5.2,vc_responsive

corrugated steel Tag

Building G

[intro] Up the path, past the Cart Shed, stands Building G. In the early 1980s, this building was reconstructed as an archaeological experiment. The building has now been deliberately abandoned so that we can see how quickly the bracken-thatch roof decays. It sags in places, and...

0
0

Martin’s Kitchen

[intro] The houses here were named after the head of household. This one is named after Martin Munro, who lived here from his birth in 1858 until he moved away in 1917. The house was built between 1800 and 1840, at right angles to the site...

0
0

Eddie’s Barn

[intro] Eddie's Barn is one of four threshing barns in the township. It now houses a display of agricultural implements. The north end of the barn has been extended to create a byre, meaning more cattle could be kept indoors over the winter. [/intro] [details] [caption id="attachment_22902" align="alignnone" width="800"]...

0
0

Martin’s Byre

[intro] This part of Martin’s House was originally a byre, where the tenants would have kept cattle and horses during the winter.  It was last occupied in 1961 by Polly and Rona, the township’s last two working horses. [/intro] [details] In the 1840s, the people of the township...

0
0

The Cart Shed

[intro] This building, too small to stand up in, was used in the 1950s and 1960s by to store Eddie MacCallum’s cart. In the 19th century it had been the township’s wash-house, and a photograph taken in the 1880s shows it being used for this purpose. [/intro] [details]...

0
0
A black and white photo of low buildings, one painted white, clustered together. red lines on the right hand side highlight one of the buildings.

Stoner’s Barn

[intro] Barns like this one, associated with Stoner’s House, were used to store crops like oats, barley, potatoes and hay until they were needed.  From the early 19th century, barns were built across the wind with two doors opposite each other. The through-draught helped in the...

0
0
A single-storey, white painted house with a corrugated metal roof and small porch. It has small, paned windows and there are three children and a woman standing outside. The photograph is black and white.

McIntyres’ House

[intro] You are standing outside McIntyres’ House.  It is named for brother and sister Ian and Flora McIntyre, who lived here from the early 1930s until 1961: until he died in 1954, they shared the house with their uncle Neil McPhail. [/intro] [details] The 1789 plan shows a building...

0
0
A low, windowless drystone building in a grassy field, with a red corrugated metal roof. It has a single large entrance.

Building Y

[intro] On the other side of the main road you can see Building Y. This is a threshing barn. It was home to the tractor in the early 1960s, and was one of the last buildings used for farming – in the late 1960s, Willie Weir...

0
0