Eddie’s BarnEddie’s Barn is one of four threshing barns in the township. It now houses a display of agricultural implements. The north end of the barn has been extended to create a byre, meaning more cattle could be kept indoors over the winter.
[caption id="attachment_22902" align="alignnone" width="800"] Eddie’s Barn in the 1980s photograph.[/caption]
The 1789 Plan shows nothing here, and the layout of the building suggests it was first built between 1800 and 1840. The 1890s photograph shows this building with a thatch roof, and it must have had a traditional timber cruck frame. Like Martin’s Barn, the south end was hipped and the north end had a full-height stone gable wall. This helped to keep the roof stable in high winds.
The building we have now is made of stone and lime mortar, and the roof is covered with corrugated steel. Our understanding of the township’s evolution suggests that the walls were rebuilt when this barn got its new steel roof early in the 20th century. Interestingly, the old threshing barn arrangement of two opposite doors was retained, even though by then this served no practical purpose.[caption id="attachment_21731" align="alignnone" width="768"] Eddie’s Barn in 1963, with the pigsty visible at the end of the building[/caption]
At the south end of the building lies a large concrete slab. This is the remains of the only pigsty we know of within Auchindrain. An oral history account from Willie Weir tells us that close to the Cottar’s House (Building G) there was a big tree with an iron ring set below a large branch. A rope was fed through the ring and laid over the branch. It was used to lift up a pig after it had been killed, so blood could be collected to make black pudding. The remains of the tree are still here, although the ring has gone.