Up the path, past the Cart Shed, stands Building G. In the early 1980s, this building was reconstructed as an archaeological experiment. The building has now been deliberately abandoned so that we can see how quickly the bracken-thatch roof decays. It sags in places, and the inside is dark and damp.
As part of this archaeological project, the ruin which stood here was excavated, exposing the original floor. The building was probably originally a small longhouse, with the living space separated by a timber partition from a byre for animals. South of the house, towards the burn, lie the remains of the house’s kailyard. The roofless remains of a Peat Shed survive at its western end.
The 1789 plan shows a building here. Census data suggests it was occupied in 1841. We don’t know how it was used after this. A photograph from the early 1930s shows it under a corrugated steel roof, but by the 1946 aerial photograph it was a roofless ruin. Every township would have had some buildings that weren’t being used, and watching the building decay reminds us of this.
We think that a cottar family lived here, to read more about the difference between tenants and cottars click here.[caption id="attachment_22927" align="alignnone" width="566"] Bella Munro standing with building G in the background, you can just see the lines of the corrugated steel.[/caption]